Monday 18 October 2010

Write a radio play

So let me tell you where I'm at with this project. I haven't really worked on it for about a week except to make the trailer. But, prior to this I'd been working very hard to put the audio track together.

It's occurred to me that creating an animation in Muvizu is much like writing a radio play. In other words if you can get the story to work with dialogue, music and sound effects then it will work in Muvizu. A great example of this is "Beware The Pie" (http://www.muvizu.com/Video/13327/Beware-the-Pie-Part-1). Here we have a comedy drama that would work with sound alone so when it's finally animated in Muvizu it succeeds as an animation. Muvizu's a brilliant visual tool and it can bring scenes to life but don't rely on the visuals. Get the sound working first and everything else will click.

So that's what I've been doing with "Geraldo in Stockholm". My aim right now is to have an audio-mix to the stage where I can extract the dialogue and use it for lip-synching in Muvizu. So I've been cutting together the sound with particular attention to the dialogue. I find myself listening back with my eyes closed to see if everything's working without the visuals. Sound effects and music are secondary at this stage, maybe even tertiary. My sound mix has some music and effects placed but they're not essential. My plan is to add much of these in post-production.

No comments:

Post a Comment